Sunday, January 1, 2012

Taken by the Others by Jess Haines

Once, New York P.I. Shiarra Waynest's most pressing problem was keeping her agency afloat. Now, she's dealing with two dangerous, seductive vampires who have been enemies for centuries. The only thing Max Carlyle and Alec Royce agree on is that they both want Shia-- for very different reasons.

Max is determined to destroy Shia for killing his progeny, while Royce's interest is a lot more personal. That's not sitting well with Shia's werewolf boyfriend, Chaz. As the feud between Max and Royce gets even more deadly, a powerful vampire-hunting faction is urging Shia to join their side. Shia has always believed vamps were the bad guys, but she's discovering unexpected shades of grey that are about to redefine her friends, her loyalties-- and even her desires.



Where does this review begin? Well I suppose first I should thank Jess & her super assistant Binah, for sending me the book to review. After reading Hunted by the Others I knew I wanted to continue following Shia's story.

Taken had a very deepened foreboding undertone. Jess writes wish such a sassy humor that one can't afford to pass up her books. This is book two in the H&W Investigations series. I was happy to see a good portion of my favorite characters retrun, in addition to some new ones being introduced. However Chaz seemed like a distant character, for about a 1/3 of the novel, in this book more than he was in the first. Chaz & Shia's relationship is faulty. It appears that their relationship has become as much of a background as Chaz's character was as well. One begins hopeful for a new relationship between Shia & Alec. I think John's character as a traitor was a predictability that I saw from the beginning of the novel. I will be beginning Decieved by the Others in the New Year. I anticipate the release of books 4-6 in the H&W Investigations series.

Favorite quotes:
"It wasn't fair (for a vampire) to be rich, good looking, and smart, too. Two out of three wasn't bad, three for three was just plain unfair.

"...even though the visible scars fade, some emotional ones take a lot longer to heal."

No comments:

Post a Comment