Thursday, July 1, 2010

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Their eyes, human eyes in wolf skulls, remind me of water: the clear blue of water reflecting in the spring sky, the brown of a brook churning with rainfall, the green of the lake in summer as the algae begins to bloom, the gray of a snow-choked river. It used to be only Sam's yellow eyes that watched me from between the rain-soaked birches, but now I feel the weight of the entire pack's gaze. The weight of things unknown, things unsaid.



Again I want to express my gratitude towards both Maggie and her people from Scholastic Press for allowing me to do the reviews for both Shiver and now for Linger. The first thought on this stpry was the continuation of "The Wolves of Mercy Falls." I anticipated learning of the mysterious Cole. You had so much to ponder on with this ellusive character. Sexy. Mysterious. Rebellious. Another great thing I enjoyed was the fact one of my favorite characters from Shiver returns as a lead character in Linger, Isabel. She is quite bitchy, pretentious, and yet with all of the hardships dealt to her- she learns to grow up and become more of a mature and responsible person.

In Shiver, I was preturbed by the temperature settings at the beginning of each chapters. I was thankful in Linger that they weren't there. I was a little disheartened to find that Olivia was not featured almost at all in Linger. With such a strong ending with her character in Shiver, I expected more to her story in Linger. I also felt that there was a vagueness to a character's details of being a wolf or not being a wolf? Maybe that is due to the author's story plan for the third edition in this series? Some parts I also felt like they could have been left out, almost like they were a "filler." Such as the talk of one character clipping their toe-nails? ....

The last 100-ish pages for me was frustrating to read for fear at which way the story would turn. Overall I really did enjoy this story. This is going to be a new series that I feel Twilight fans such as myself can indulge in and not feel betrayed. Maggie creates such interesting characters, with a whole new purpose to werewolves. I am quite impatient for the third installment and see myself reading these books over again throughout the year.

There were quite a few quotes I loved from this book. However only one really popped out at me.

"But love isn't quantifiable on paper..."
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment