Thursday, March 18, 2010

Amanda Ashley Interview

Amanda Ashley was the second book review I worked on for this blog. It is truly an honor to have her cooperation and blessing to do an interview with. I only became aware of her late in 2009. First with her novel Immortal Sins, to which I followed up with Everlasting Kiss; and ARC she kindly sent me to review. I hope you all will enjoy finding out more from this amazing woman below, as I did.

What inspired you to become a writer?
Mainly boredom! My husband worked nights. My children were small. There was nothing on tv. I don’t remember exactly what prompted me to start writing late one night. I’d been reading a lot of historical romances, so of course that’s the genre I picked. And because I had always loved cowboys, Indians, and horses, my story was set in the Old West and my hero was a half-breed. The book was Comanche Flame (recently reissued by Leisure Books and also available as an audio book). I lived that book every waking moment, thought about it constantly, and didn’t tell a soul I was writing it.

How long have you been writing for?
Oh, gosh, it seems like forever. The first book I sold (which wasn’t the first book I wrote) was published in 1985. It took me six years to find a publisher, and I’d been writing for two or three years before a friend suggested I look for a publisher, so I've been writing for a long time. I've been published for 24 years. Hard to believe it's been that long!!!!

Of your work, which is your favorite, or that you hold dear for one reason or another?
Why do people ask that? Don’t you know it’s like asking which child is your favorite? Of course, no mother ever admits to having a favorite, even if she does.


Having said that, I guess my favorite historical is Reckless Heart.


My favorite time travel is either The Angel and the Outlaw or Under a Prairie Moon. I can't decide.


My favorite vamp book is probably Embrace the Night, although I really love the book coming out in October, Everlasting Desire.

As an author, who is your favorite to read from?
Again, it’s hard to pick just one, but one of my favorite series of books is the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

What is your favorite genre?
Vampires, definitely!!!!!!

What do you like to do in your spare time? Writing isn't an answer. :)
Read. Walk my dog. Spend time with my kids. Go to the movies. Go to lunch with my friends.

Have you ever collaborated with another author? Or plan too?
No. No. I wouldn’t be good at that, unless we could do everything my way.

Do you have any pen names? If so why do you choose to use a pen name?
Amanda Ashley is my pen name. When my editor realized I was going to write more than one vampire book, she suggested I take a pen name so my readers wouldn’t pick up one of my books, thinking it was a western, only to find it was about vampires.

Any words of wisdom for your fans and readers?
Hmmm, words of wisdom….
Smile often.


Spend time with your children. They grow up way too fast.


Tell your parents you love them.


Don’t forget to be grateful for the blessings the Good Lord has given you.


Pray for our country and our troops.

Thank you for spending your valuable time with us. I personally am excited for Everlasting Desire to come out this Fall. The sequel to Everlasting Kiss that came out this February. Well Mandy keep up the great work. As always it's a pleasure to conversate with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment