Saturday, March 27, 2010

Halloween by R.L. Stine

"This party is a killer.


Brenda hates her cousin Halley. And Brenda isn't the only one. Because Halley keeps stealing other people's boyfriends.
So Brenda and her friends decide to plan the perfect murder. Something to go along with Brenda's perfect Halloween party.

Not that they're really going to kill anybody.
It's just a joke.
Right?

Ha. Ha."

Hey guys, so this was just a leisurely reading I was doing in between ARC's. I found this copy at a thrift store recently and for retro-childhood amusement I bought it, I think for 25 cents? I began reading R. L. Stine books waaaaaaaay back when I was in the fifth grade in elementary school. First I began his Goosebumps series throughout elementary, Fear Street series in junior high and high school. Close to the end of my senior year he came out with his Seniors series which I only finished half of the books. :( I still need to finish the rest. The thing I love about his books are the cool graphics, and the bubbled up cover titles. I don't seem to find many books with the title like that anymore? Maybe it was a 1990's book fad? I say it comes back! Another cool thing about R.L. Stine is that not only does he write cool novels, but he was also one of the geniuses behind one of my childhood favorite tv shows, Eureka's Castle.

Brenda and her friends have an english class assignment to create a murder mystery. The mystery creative and original in the book. It made me wish my english teachers had given us an assignment like that. Can you imagine how fun that could be? I loved the fact he mentions the charaters playing Super Nintendo. We have come a long way in video games since then, Playstation 3 and Wii is the craze now. No longer do we have to blow on the actual game to get it to work, or jerk the controller in hope it helps us play.

Brenda's nemesis cousin Halley's name kept making me say Haley (One Tree Hill). I had to read it as Haley and correct myself everytime saying HALLEY!!!!!!! The plot twist was great. I thought I had it figured out up until the end. I got half of it right, only to be suprised at the part I had wrong! It's been years since I read R.L. and even now, I still enjoy his creativity and imagination. I really need to begin collecting his books again. I truly do enjoy them.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment