Monday, March 22, 2010

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

"The secret passage to the house next door leads to a fascinating adventure.
NARNIA... where the woods are thick and cool, where Talking Beasts are called to life... a new world where the adventure begins.

Digory and Polly meet and make friends one cold, wet summer in London. Their lives burst into adventure when Digory's Uncle Andrew, who thinks he is a magician, sends them hurtling to...somewhere else. They find their way to Narnia, newborn from the Lion's song, and encounter the evil sorceress Jadis, before they finally return home. 



Enter this enchanted world countless times in The Chronicles of Narnia. There are seven books in all:
The Magician's Nephew
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle"


For a children's book this story has so many valuable and intriguing lessons any person of any age can apply to their life. I have never read the books, only seen the movies. Originally I seen the old late 80's early 90's version; the robotic animals with blinking eyes and puppet mouths, and more recently the new versions of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe and also Prince Caspian. The newer versions by far are way better.

Although now that I'm reading the books it gives a more clear understanding of the full concept on Narnia. Humanities errors, bad judgement calls, sins of the flesh basically. I only wished they had started out the newer movies with the first book. As much as Queen Jadis, aka the Ice Bitch in my words is evil, there is something so alluring and wonderfully deserving of her presence. Good doesn't exist with out evil.

Here are a couple quotes that I found inspiring:

"When things go wrong, you'll usually find they go on getting worse for some time; but when things once start going right they often go on getting better and better." -C.S. Lewis

"Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed." C.S. Lewis

Usually when I do my reviews I have a notebook that I write down various thoughts, errors, etc. I was originally reading this as just something to read. I had always wanted to read the series but never got around to it. That day- a month or so ago- when I seen the whole set very cutely wrapped in a silk ribbon in the thrift store I knew they were meant for me! Who knows, maybe "Uncle Andrew" used his magic to put them there for me. At any rate I truly loved "The Magician's Nephew." I can't wait to read "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe" to see how it compares to the movies. They always leave things out. :(

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment