Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Forget Me Not by Vicki Hinze

"THEIR ELUSIVE ENEMIES TOOK EVERYTHING.
NOW THEY WANT MORE.



Crossroads Crisis Center owner Benjamin Brandt was a content man- in his faith, his work, and his family. Then in a flash, everything he loved was snatched away. His wife and son were murdered, and grief-stricken Ben lost faith. Determination to find their killers keeps him going, but after three years of dead ends and torment, his hope is dying too. Why had he survived? He'd failed to protect his family.
Now a mysterious woman appears at Crossroads seeking answers and help- a victim who eerily resembles Ben's deceased wife, Susan. A woman robbed of her identity, her life, of everything except her faith- and Susan's necklace.
The connections between the two women mount, exceeding coincidence, and to keep the truth hidden, someone is willing to kill. Finding out who and why turns Ben and the mystery woman's situation from dangerous to deadly. Their only hope for survival is to work together, trust each other, and face whatever they discover head on, no matter how painful. But will that be enough to save their lives and heal their tattered hearts?"

I want to begin this review, as usual, by thanking the author Vicki Hinze for graciously sending me a copy of this book to be able to review it. If you read the post the day I got the package you will have read she also included a copy of "War Games: Kill Zone" and a bookmark of "Forget Me Not" to go along with the autographed copy of the book. I didn't ask for any of the other items, so it goes to show you how kind Vicki really is.

This is a beautifully written mystery, suspense, thriller, and Christian novel. I think a lot of people outside of the Christian faith associate Christianity as a roadblock in experiencing things involved in its Faith, such as books.  "Forget Me Not" was a majorily suspenseful novel. I think whether you are Christian, or not in my case (spiritual belonging to the Native American form of Faith), you will enjoy this book.

If it weren't for my exhausting weekend I wouldn't have put this book down until I finished. Susan/Karen/Kelly & Ben's gripping story is loaded with tragedy and sorrow, that only they could get through it together. While I'm on that topic, Susan/Karen/Kelly had me feeling like the poor woman had a severe case of Multiple Personality Disorder. Thankfully this wasn't the case, and you will have to read the book to find out what I am talking about.

There were quite a few quotes from the novel that I think were very powerful, for me atleast:

"...emotions. They don't care about logic or reason or even common sense. They just hang out and drive you nuts wherever they can find a nook or cranny to rip you apart inside."

"Fear isn't an enemy. It warns us of danger. It makes us notice things so we protect ourselves. Fear isn't a failing. Sometimes it's a weapon, but sometimes it's a shield too." (If you're on my Facebook you will have seen this, when I woke up. I had this as my status message. I think it was a great quote to inspire others for the on-coming day!)

"The center had healed, and so would Karen." (I think this was a very talented way to use as a comparison to Karen's circumstances and the ones that the center had to deal with.)

In general tho, I loved how Vicki has incorporated that even tho Susan/Karen/Kelly has no memory of her life, she still knows she has her faith in God. Whether you are religious or not I think you can feel the sense of sorrow this character has. Can you imagine never knowing if you were loved, if anyone ever cared for you?

Typically I am not into the whole reader's guide things some authors feature in the back of their books. Some reason, Vicki's is calling my name. Later this week I will be posting my answers to the reading guide questions.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment