Saturday, March 20, 2010

Julia Knight Interview

When I began thinking of doing these interviews I had written a post on Samhain's yahoo group seeking author's willing to do them. Unknowingly I wasn't allowed to do so in that section. Marty who works for Samhain in that department kindly moved my post to the appropriate location. This is how Julia found me and contacted me. I can't say how excited I was, and still am, that so many authors were eager to help me in this endeavor. One of them just so happens to be Julia. So read on and find out more on this sweet writer.

What inspired you to become a writer?
A combination of things really. I've always made up stories in my head but never thought of writing them down until I became housebound with ME. Daytime TV drove me to distraction but physically there was little I could do. Then I saw a particular film ( The Brave, with Johnny Depp. Very dark, very thought provoking) and this character kind of turned up in my head and I had to start writing. That character was Ilfayne, who originally was supposed to be a side character but, again, his ego took over….


How long have you been writing for?
In total 5 years or so, though there was a year in there where I was too ill to write. Once I get into something, I get obsessive. Writing is the most intense of those obsessions. Now I can't not write, not if I want to stay sane anyway.

Of your work, which is your favorite, or that you hold dear for one reason or another?
Ack, what a question! I love Ilfayne's Bane, I love what it taught me about writing and of course I am more than a little in love with Ilfayne himself. Love is My Sin is great to me in a different way, and I had a blast writing it - it just poured out of me, and it did something for that soft spot I always had for Hunter. Bless his little cotton socks. So both really - I like the erotic novella, The Wicked Lady, I've got coming up with Samhain for entirely different reasons!

As an author, who is your favorite to read from?
I'm a huge fan of CJ Cherryh and her heroes to swoon for. Two of my all time fave books are the Chronicles of Morgaine and Merchanter's Luck. The way she gets right into her people's heads was a direct inspiration for my own writing. Plus, I wanted to make other people swoon over my heroes! I'm also a huge Pratchett fan, and of course, as a fantasy fan, Tolkien. While he has his flaws, I love the poetry in his language, and his heroes. I have a Rohirrim flag tattoo….

What is your favorite genre?
Fantasy, for sure - though I love a side dish of romance. I love the fact that anything can, and often does, happen, the release from real life grit to another world. Literally escapism.

What do you like to do in your spare time? Writing isn't an answer. :)
Eek! Um, I don't do much else except work and do family stuff and write. Oh, I like the wrestling - it makes me giggle and all those men with not much on except muscles and baby oil. I like the rugby too. I sense a theme emerging here. I like muscley men?

Have you ever collaborated with another author? Or plan too?
Not yet. but I wouldn't be averse, if I found the right person. Someone loopy enough to get what comes out of my brain.

Do you have any pen names? If so why do you choose to use a pen name?
Not yet.

Any words of wisdom for your fans and readers?
Wisdom, me? *snickers* Um, thanks for reading and look out for the next ones…
Thanks for the opportunity!

Thank you again Julia for sharing details about your life and work with us. On behalf of my readers and myself I send out prayer on your ME, Chronic Fatigue. I hope to get copies of your books soon and feature them on a review here. I wish you good luck on your upcoming novel and all of your future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment