Saturday, April 24, 2010

Author David Wellington Interview

One day I was browsing various websites and bookstores online. David's name and books popped up on one. I was immediately drawn towards them. I knew I had to read them and contact David in hopes of getting a review copy, an interview, and/or both! Much to my surprise he kindly obliged me with an interview and also an offer to send me a copy to review. I am really excited to post this interview with Mr. Wellington. I truly hope you all enjoy it as much as I am. (All pictures and David's bio courtesy of the author, David Wellington.)





What horror movie(s) drew you to writing fiction novels?
It was more books that drew me to writing. I read a lot of horror as a kid, probably at far too young an age. Stephen King, Clive Barker, Peter Straub, anything I could get my hands on. It gave me nightmares, in a good way.


I loved the video "13 bullets: The Evolution of Horror" featured on your website. Were you there for the making of it?
Unfortunately, no. It would have been a lot of fun... for the first fifteen minutes, probably. The whole process documented in that video took hours. Then it was even more hours in editing... all for a minute and fifteen seconds of video!




You have amazing (book) cover graphics. Are they all done by the same artist?
The covers are fantastic, aren't they? The designs are by a variety of different artists, but it was Barbara Sturman who designed the cover of 99 Coffins, which was the first of my books to use the distinctive style--and it still might be my favorite. I love the green color of the type.


Are you planning on anymore steampunk horror novels aside from "Green Smoke?"
Not at the moment, but I rarely plan a project very far in the future. I write the book that appeals to me at the time--if a steampunk story comes to me, I won't have any choice but to write it.




Do you have any upcoming tours or signings?
At the moment there's nothing planned. But when events come up, I'll be posting about them on my website, http://www.davidwellington.net/


Have you gotten any movie offers? Or do you not want your works made into movies?
I'd love to see my books turned into movies. They've all been optioned, but of course it's a very long process from option to finished movie.




How long did it take for you to finish your first novel?
My first novel, which I wrote when I was thirteen, took me about six months. Monster Island, my first published novel, took exactly five months to write. I posted it online in serial form, putting each chapter up on the web as soon as I was finished writing it. I posted sixty chapters, three times a week, so--exactly five months.

Do you write full time? What did you do before you began writing?
I write full time--it's a great privilege, for which I thank my readers. They've made it possible for me to live my dream. Before I did this, I worked as a librarian for the United Nations. I was laid off from that job about a week after I got my first book deal. It was a trade-off I didn't mind making.



 David Wellington's Bio
"David Wellington is the author of seven novels. His zombie novels “Monster Island”, “Monster Nation” and “Monster Planet”(Thunder’s Mouth Press) form a complete trilogy. He has also written a series of vampire novels including (so far) “Thirteen Bullets”, “Ninety-Nine Coffins”, “Vampire Zero” and “Twenty-Three Hours”, and in October of 2009 began his new Werewolf series, starting with “Frostbite” (all with Three Rivers Press). In 2004 he began serializing his horror fiction online, posting short chapters of a novel three times a week on a friend’s blog. Response to the project was so great that in 2004 Thunder’s Mouth Press approached Mr. Wellington about publishing “Monster Island” as a print book. His novels have been featured in Rue Morgue, Fangoria, and the New York Times. For more information please visit http://www.davidwellington.net/"


No comments:

Post a Comment