Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blonde With A Wand by Vicki Lewis Thompson

"Never cross a witch in love.

Sexy witch Anica Revere has one absolutely unwavering rule: Never, under any circumstances, get involved with a man before telling him she's a witch. Still, what's one silly rule? Especially when the guy in question is as cute as Jasper Danes. But when Anica and Jasper have a spat, she breaks an even bigger rule of witchcraft and turns him into a cat. Bad news for him. Worse for her. 

With Anica stripped of her powers for the witchy infraction, it's up to Jasper to undo the hex, but he never expects the hardest part of the bargain to be resisting Anica. The stakes are high, and the chemistry is off the charts. But what'll happen if Anica and Jasper both fall under the strongest spell of all: love?"



After reading Mary Janice Davidson's "Undead & Unwed," I thought Vicki's witch collection would be an exciting change of pace from my frequent vampire obsessions. I want to start off by thanking Vicki for "Blonde With A Wand" book 1,  "Chick With A Charm" book 2, and an autographed postcard featuring the cover art for both novels.

Typically if I am reading a book I am so set in my ways that if after the first chapter doesn't hold my attention I discard the novel and don't look back. It took me until chapter 10 to get into the story, I personally thought those first 10 chapters were a bit of a slow read. However, now that I have finished it I want to say this book does feature all of the great features of an interesting novel: the slow sections, the comedic relief, (not quite tear jerking, but) sad moments, sex, and of course the climactic ending, pun fully intended!

A cool fact about this book is it's publication date, February 2, 2010, is the same as my birthday. Not only were there witches and wizards, but also faeries. Poor Jasper had the misperception it was of the gay variety! Which of course being gay was quite a great laugh as I was reading that part. I'm still laughing by the way! :) Another thing that I liked about this was the fact Vicki wove in animal rescue stories and donations. Sure in the novel they were fiction, but she includes a shout out to the wonderful people at Best Friends Animal Society, which is the world's largest no-kill animal shelter in the world. She actually spent a week there, which goes to show she is more than just a talented author!

There were quite a few sex scenes in this, which of course I had anticipated. Although I had only wished maybe there was a bit more of foreplay or just extend the sex scene for a page or more. It was quite brief while it happened. I loved Jasper's character. The man was clearly aloof in his own playboy reality. During his transformation into the feline world he grew in his humanity. Ironic huh?! But it was a beautiful transformation none-the-less. He learned to appreciate life for more than sex, what great thing is next, and money. Anica, however, I was quite conflicted with. She was quite a boring character for me and I didn't really feel anything for her until chapter 26 of 27. Her sister Lily is a rebel and a lot more adventurous. Maybe that's why I was more drawn to Lily, even tho she was a side character. In "Chick With A Charm" book two, Lily is a more featured character. I look forward to reading this story soon. I was hesistant at first, but now with "Blonde With A Wand" finished, I hope the series continues as well.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment