Sunday, April 11, 2010

Princess For Hire by Lindsey Leavitt

"When a flawlessly dressed woman steps out of an iridescent bubble and wants to know, like, now if you'd like to become a substitute princess, do you:
a) run
b) faint
c) say yes!

For Desi Bascomb, who's been longing for a bit of glamour in her Idaho life, the choice is a definite c)--- that is, once she can't stop pinching herself. As her new agent, Meredith, explains, Desi has a rare magical ability: when she applies the ancient Egyptian formula "Royal Rouge," she can transform temporarily into the exact look-alike of any princess who needs her subbing services. Dream come true, right?

Well, Desi soon discovers that subbing involves a lot more than wearing a tiara and waving at cameras. Like, what do you do when a bullying older sister puts you on a heinous crash diet? Or when the tribal villagers gather to watch you perform a ceremonial dance you don't know? Or when a princess's conflicted sweetheart shows up to break things off- and you're sure she would want you to change his mind?

In this hilarious, winning debut, one girl's dream of glamour transforms into something bigger; the desire to make a positive impact. And an impact Desi makes, one royal fiasco at a time."

Hey readers! This was a book featured on the 2010 Debute Author Challenge I joined last month. I contacted Lindsey who forwarded me on to Hallie Patterson at Disney-Hyperion books- who sent me my copy. Everyone knows I despise the color pink. However....for the age group this novel is geared to suits it just fine. The cover art will definitely appeal to the tween and teen audience. Hell it even appealed to me.



Hallie so graciously sent me a final copy, hardback and all. So I want to thank Hallie and Lindsey both for making this review possible. This was a funny hilarious and refreshing novel. I have to give Lindsey uber points for featuring Gladys the Groundhog, my bday is Groundhog's Day. Also extra points for using Hayden as a boys name. Although this is a fiction based novel, Lindsey does weave in life lessons for the readers. Such as "Princess Simmy's" story where you learn how to stand up for yourself and have self-respect. Even as an adult, I truly loved the story. It was very well written, featured all of the items a teen struggles with, and includes plenty of comedic relief. I anticipate the second book in this new series. I think any one who is a fan of the Princess Diaries will love this. It has the same sense of comedy to it with a different twist to the princess tales. If this were to ever be a movie, and since it's a Disney novel I am sure it will be, I can totally picture Kristin Chenoweth as Meredith.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment